Admin-initiated Remote PC enrollment
In order to add a Remote PC to a RAS Farm, RAS Remote PC Agent must be installed on it. The requirements to push install RAS Remote PC Agent are as follows:
- The firewall must be configured on the server to allow push installation. Standard SMB ports (139 and 445) need to be open. See also Port reference for the list of ports used by Parallels RAS.
- SMB access. The administrative share (\\server\c$) must be accessible. Simple file sharing must be enabled.
- Your Parallels RAS administrator account must have permissions to perform a remote installation on the PC. If it doesn't, you'll be asked to enter credentials of an account that does.
- The PC should be joined to an AD domain. If it's not, the push installation may not work and you will have to install the Agent on it manually. Please see Installing Remote PC Agent manually.
Adding a Remote PC to a Farm
Follow the below procedure to add a Remote PC to a Farm:
- In the RAS Console, select the Farm category and click the Remote PCs node in the navigational tree.
- Click Add in the Tasks drop-down list to launch the setup wizard.
- Specify the IP address or FQDN of a Remote PC. Click the Get MAC button to obtain the PC's MAC address. To automatically resolve IP address to FQDN, enable the global Name Resolution option. For details, see Host name resolution.
- Click Next.
- In this step, the Parallels RAS checks if the Remote PC Agent is installed on the specified PC. If it's not installed, click Install to push install the agent on the PC. If the push installation of Remote PC Agent fails for any reason, you can install it manually. See Installing Remote PC Agent Manually below.
- Click Add to add the Remote PC to the Parallels RAS Farm.
Installing Remote PC Agent manually
You may need to install the Remote PC Agent manually if the automatic push installation cannot be performed for any reason. To do so:
- Log into the PC where the Remote PC Agent is to be installed using an administrator account and close all other applications.
- Copy the Parallels RAS installation file (
RASInstaller.msi) to the PC and double click it to launch the installation.
- Follow the onscreen instructions and proceed to the installation type page. Select Custom and click Next.
- Click on the Remote PC Agent and select Entire Feature will be installed on local hard drive from the drop-down list.
- Ensure that all other components are deselected and click Next.
- Click Install to start the installation. Click Finish once the installation is finished.
Remote PC Agent does not require any configuration. Once the agent is installed, select the Remote PC name in the Parallels RAS Console and click Troubleshooting > Check Agent. If the agent is installed properly, the status should change to Agent Installed.
Uninstalling Remote PC Agent
To uninstall Remote PC Agent from a server:
- Navigate to Start > Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program.
- Find Parallels Remote Application Server in the list of installed programs.
- If you don't have any other Parallels RAS components on the server that you want to keep, right-click Parallels Remote Application Server and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions to uninstall the program. You may skip the rest of these instructions.
- If you have other RAS components that you want to keep on the server, right-click Parallels Remote Application Server and then click Change.
- Click Next on the Welcome page.
- On the Change, repair, or remove page, select Change.
- On the next page, select Custom.
- Select Remote PC Agent, then click the drop-down list in front of it, and click Entire feature will be unavailable.
- Click Next and complete the wizard.