Set Internet Links to Always Open in the Host OS or Virtual Machine
By default, clicking a link (such as a web page URL) in your virtual machine opens the default guest OS program for that link type, and clicking a link in the host OS opens the default host OS program.
You can set links of a particular type to always open in the host OS or in your virtual machine. For example, you could set web pages to always open in the guest OS, even if the link is clicked in the host OS.
Note: To set Internet links to open in the host OS or in your virtual machine, Parallels Tools must be installed.
To set Internet links to open in the host OS or in your virtual machine:
- Start Parallels Workstation.
- In the sidebar, select the virtual machine and click Virtual Machine > Configure > Options > Applications.
- Click the menu for the type of link you want to set. If you don't see the link type you want, click More Applications. The following types of links can be set:
- Web pages: Web pages accessible through the
- E-mail: Links in the
mailto format that open a pre-addressed email.
- Newsgroups: Links in the
news. format that typically open a newsreader program.
- FTP: File upload and download locations accessible through the
- RSS: Episodic content, such as blogs and podcasts.
- Remote access: Locations accessible through the
Secure Shell (
- Choose one of the following:
- Default: The link opens in the program set as default in the operating system (host OS or guest OS) where you click the link.
- Open in virtual machine: Links clicked in the host OS or guest OS open in the default guest OS program for that link type.
- Open on the host computer: Links clicked in the host OS or guest OS open in the default host OS program for that link type.