Using an External Storage Device
Important: After importing your data, you may need to reactivate some of your Windows programs using the activation keys you received when you purchased the programs.
To import your data from a PC using an external storage device:
- Connect an external storage device to your Windows PC.
- On the Windows PC, open Parallels Transporter Agent by clicking the Start menu and choosing All Programs > Parallels > Parallels Transporter Agent.
- Click the external storage device icon.
- Click Next. Parallels Transporter Agent collects information about the Windows PC.
- If you don't want to log in to Windows automatically whenever you start up Windows, select Do not enable Automatic Logon. When ready, click Next.
- Choose whether you want to migrate all your files and data or only Windows applications. When ready, click Next.
- Choose where you want to store your data. You can also click Customize and select which Windows volumes to migrate.
When ready, click Next.
- In the next step there's a warning about Windows activation that might be required when you start using it. To proceed, read this message, select I want to continue and click Next.
- Once the migration is complete, click Done to quit Parallels Transporter Agent.
- Disconnect the storage device from the Windows PC and connect it to your Mac.
- On your Mac, open Parallels Desktop and choose File > New.
- Select Migrate from a PC and click Continue.
- Select External Storage Device and click Continue.
- Click Choose and locate where you chose to store your data in step 7. Then click Continue.
- Select how you want to use Windows:
- Like a Mac: Windows programs appear on the Mac desktop, just like Mac applications. Documents and media from Mac OS X and Windows are kept together on your Mac.
- Like a PC: The Windows desktop and programs appear in a single window, separate from Mac applications. You can drag and drop objects between Windows and the Mac.
- Choose where you want to install Windows and your data, and then click Continue.
- Once the migration is complete, click Done.
- Start Windows.
- When Windows boots up, choose Virtual Machine > Install Parallels Tools and follow the onscreen instructions.
Note: To be able to install Parallels Tools, you must be logged in to Windows as an administrator.