Managing Virtual Machines from Parallels Mobile
Parallels Mobile allows you to remotely access your Parallels Desktop virtual machine and its applications from your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch.
Parallels Mobile lets you:
- access any virtual machine running in Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac
- use any Windows application in your virtual machine, from Internet Explorer to Outlook
- remotely start, stop and reset virtual machines
- stay connected via WiFi or 3G networks
- access your Windows applications from anywhere over the Internet
- optimize for either speed or graphics performance
Before installing Parallels Mobile, make sure your copy of Parallels Desktop is registered, and you have at least one virtual machine with an operating system and Parallels Tools installed.
- In Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac, choose Parallels Desktop > Preferences, click Mobile, and log in to your Parallels account using the email you provided when registering Parallels Desktop.
- Leave your Mac powered on to be able to connect to it from Parallels Mobile.
- Download Parallels Mobile from the App Store and install it on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
- Open Parallels Mobile and log in to your Parallels account using the email and password you used to register your copy of Parallels Desktop.
- Your Mac will appear in the list of available Macs. Tap it to access your virtual machines.
Working with Your Virtual Machine
- To begin a remote virtual machine session, select a Mac where the virtual machine is located and then tap the virtual machine name. This will open the virtual machine screen.
- When you open the virtual machine for the first time, you will see the Tips screen that provides a basic information about gestures that can be used during the remote session. Tap the Close button to close the Tips screen and go to the virtual machine screen.
- Depending on whether the virtual machine is running or stopped, you will see one of the following:
- If the virtual machine is running on your Mac, its desktop will be shown in the virtual machine and you can start working with it immediately. The screen may stay black for a few seconds before the virtual machine desktop is displayed. This is needed to properly synchronize the virtual machine and the Parallels Mobile application.
- If the virtual machine is not running, you will see a large icon in the middle that looks like the "play" pictogram.
Once you see the virtual machine desktop, all the changes that happen to it will be displayed on your mobile device screen in real time. You can control the virtual machine using the virtual keyboard and gestures.
For more information about using Parallels Mobile, please refer to the Parallels Mobile User's Guide, available on our website.